Many people will experience some type of orthodontic concern in their lifetime. Patients generally have concerns about malocclusions or bad bites. Malocclusions occur when the teeth or jaw structure do not fit together correctly. Orthodontic treatment can help achieve a straight, healthy smile and better dental health. If you live in the La Mesa area and are experiencing pain or discomfort with your bite, please contact Stormberg Orthodontics today.
Not Just a Cosmetic Concern
Parents sometimes delay seeking orthodontic treatment for their children because they believe that a bad bite is a purely cosmetic concern. Malocclusions can prevent healthy oral development, may impede speech, and can cause premature wear of tooth enamel, which may lead to cavities. Your family dentist may recommend that your child visit an orthodontist – if so, visit Dr. Stormberg in La Mesa.
There are several different alignment concerns that an orthodontist can help treat. These include:
- Spacing – When teeth are too far apart, sometimes caused by a missing tooth
- Overbite – When the upper front teeth extend over the lower teeth. This can cause the lower teeth to bite the roof of the mouth
- Underbite – When the lower front teeth extend past the upper front teeth.
- Crossbite – When the upper front teeth sit just inside the lower row of teeth. Crossbite malocclusions can lead to misaligned jaw growth and tooth stratification
- Crowding – When teeth have insufficient room for eruption from the gum line. Orthodontic treatment can frequently correct this without the removal of any teeth.
- Midlines – This occurs when the back bite does not align appropriately. Correcting this will help ensure healthy jaw development and dental function.
Seeking Orthodontic Treatment
Most orthodontic concerns can be treated successfully in childhood. However, teens and adults can also benefit from orthodontic treatment; it is never too late to enjoy a healthy smile. Your dental healthcare team will work together to provide your family with the treatment required for a lifetime of good oral health. Visit our orthodontic office conveniently located in the heart of La Mesa today. To make an appointment for yourself or a family member, call (619) 462-8267 or contact us online. We hope to see you soon!